Sunday, May 26, 2013

B & G's

I don't know if it's because I danced to the Bee Gees last night like it was my last day on earth or because I drank a tiny bit too much and needed a fat bomb this morning but I had to make B & G's for Sunday breaky. B & G's  is biscuits and gravy y'all. I made it vegan style for er'body and I think it was a first for the mixture of Danes, Russian Germans and Sweedish Pollocks I'm now living with. Here's a little Earth, Wind and Fire for you! And even though my mom was THE disco queen, I think I managed to embody her disco spirit in the wee hours of last night. 
This morning I'm also the proud mother of some newly duplicated Kefir grains. These things grow up so fast! What the H-E-double hockey sticks is water kefir? It's a cultured (probiotic) beverage and like sauerkraut, gets the good bugs balanced in your digestion which effectively improves your immune system. Plus, the effervescent beverage produced is ultra refreshing and a good replacement for tempting sweet drinks. You use sugar to feed the kefir grains and after 24-48 hours, only 20% of the sugar is left. The next step with the kefir grains is learning to make kefir beer

B & Gs
biscuits
* mix flour (any sort), baking powder, oil or butter, salt, herbs, (butter)milk and/or water 
* make into blobs and bake for 25 minutes at 200C/400F

it's all vegan gravy baby
* sautee chopped garlic, mushrooms and (hazel)nuts
* add herbs, salt and flour to coat the sautee mix
* add water and tamari
* simmer until thick and top the biscuits!

No comments:

Post a Comment