Thursday, May 9, 2013

Oh baby I like it raw

So basically 'Ol Dirty Bastard (aka Little Baby Jesus, who's now deceased) is like the weirdest EVER and he probably wasn't rhyming about raw food, but what if he was? What if he was?! 
And how about the soul-train-esque dancers in the background of ODB's video? Don't even get me started on soul train videos because it could result in an hours-long video session where I'd probably try to sing and dance along--have I mentioned my secret desire to dance, but I guess that's neither here nor there. I have to post at least one soul train jam for you today.

You know who else likes it raw? Mimi Kirk and she has some pretty great raw food recipes like the one my friend whipped up today. You can visit her website youngonrawfood, where you'll find a lot of great recipes. And get this, she's 73--hard to believe! 

Breakfast

green smoothie goodness 

Lunch by Julia

great big salad
* dandelion + other greens + radishes + sunflower seeds + lavender (secret ingredient) 
* balsamic + EVOO dressing

roasted sweet potatoes + raw ketchup
* sweet potatoes sliced, rubbed in African Red Palm Oil (super food you can read about) + spices + garlic
* roasted until soft
* in vitamix/food processor, add soaked (I think) sun dried tomato, fresh tomato, garlic, apple cider vinegar, cashews, 3 medjool dates, plus some of the water from soaking the tomatoes + salt--nothing short of amazing, really!

Dinner

japanese miso soup + veggies
* mix miso + ginger + garlic and bring to boil
* add buckwheat soba noodles until soft
* top with fresh chopped vegetables + seaweed strips (if desired)

note: Lavender is well known for it's relaxing properties and soothing abilities for skin irritations and headaches. I was surprised at the nice flavor it added to the salad, since its often paired with sweets instead. I love finding lavender growing around mostly because watching the bees collect pollen from the plants is just as soothing as the plant's medicinal properties.  

No comments:

Post a Comment