Thursday, May 2, 2013

May Day, May Day!

Ohrwurm: Paper Bird's Structure of Love--listen here
sprung
Spring has sprung and May day, an international day to welcome spring, was here just in time. In Germany it is also labor day. People have the day off to get some fresh air, start their gardens and relax. After a day of research inside, I took a nice run through the botanical garden and later, a walk through the forest. By late afternoon, the sun also decided to unearth itself from the hazy morning clouds. Walks are so meditative and rejuvenating. I use them as a time to just notice things--birds calling, plants growing, peering into neighbors yards, taking in different aromas, occasionally talking to myself and foraging if I'm lucky. Walks can also take the place of riding inside a bus or car if you have the time, which is what it was for me today. I headed over to share a May Day dinner with some friends, and okay, watch the Champion's League Barcelona vs. Bayern football match with a nice hefeweizen in hand. 

I have to admit that this was the first football game I've watched since the world cup in 2006 but I'm ready for more! After the match, my friend Alex, who's a photographer, snapped a few photos of me--check out his awesome work here! Julia, who's becoming a nutritionist and a whiz in the kitchen made us another radical meal!!!

Dinner

squash fingers
* slices of kurbis squash rubbed in coconut oil + herbs
* bake at 200C until soft
squash fingers + barlauch pesto
bärlauch (wild garlic) pesto
* barlauch leaves + tomato paste + balsamic + tahini + pine nuts * add spices to taste
* puree

note: bärlauch, aka wild garlic, seems to be growing all over right now. For a positive identification in the wild, simply rub it between your fingers to make sure it smells like garlic. Other plants that are not edible might look similar. You can use wild garlic in salad, soup, sauteed, boiled, as a dried herb, etc. 

simple pimple salad + hemp-tahini dressing
* lettuce greens of choice
* sliced radishes (in season here) + cucumber
* pumpkin seeds
* dressing: honey + tahini + hemp oil + s&p + water 

No comments:

Post a Comment